Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.
Albert Szent-Gyorgyi. Hungarian, Nobel Prize winner (Medicine).
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
Tutoring: Wednesdays 2.30 to 3.00pm & Fridays 2.30-3.30pm
- Introduction. Lab safety contract. Common safety symbols, pdf.
- Assignment 1 (homework): completed lab safety contract.
- Chemistry is the study of the composition, properties and behavior of matter. Branches: physical chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry & biochemistry.
- Measurement skills. The International System of Units (abbreviated SI from French: Le Système international d'unités). Practice 1
- Review for the Quiz: Review
- Homework: Textbook, page 96 questions #79 & 82; p99, question #3.
Due on Tues 27 (Periods 1, 3 & 5) and Weds 28 for periods 2, 4 & 6.
- Week 2: Quiz 1 based on practice 1 & Review.
- Classification of matter. Properties of matter. Textbook pp32-59.
Practice 02, questions 39 to 57 on page 55. Homework 02 here.
- Density. Textbook p80. Practice 03 problems here.
- Practice 04. Density, mixtures, substances. Homework 03 here.
- Week 4. Lab Density.
- Mock test 1.
- Test 1 is based on practice 03, 04, and the density lab.
- Test 1: substances, mixtures, density calculations: Mon 16 (odd day) & Tues 17 (even day).
- Atomic models. Practice 05, Atomic models. Week of 9/16-20
- Practice 06, review: basic atomic structure.
- Review atomic models. Answers here !!
- Quiz 2 based on practice 5, practice 6 and review of atomic models.
- Quiz 2, Tues 9/24 odd periods; Wedns 9/25 even periods.
- Practice 07. The quantum model – electron configurations.
- Practice 08. Electron configurations
- Review, The quantum model – electron configurations.
- Quiz based on practice 7, 8 & Review.
- Additional info for the curious student: Documentary Quantum Mechanics Fabric of the Cosmos
Also, Professor Brian Greene - The Hidden Reality.
Professor Richard Feynman: the character of physical law
- Practice 09, Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Practice 10, The periodic table.
- Practice 11, Periodic trends. Review of electromagnetic spectrum.
- Review: The periodic table, periodic trends, electromagnetic spectrum.
Review 2. The periodic table, periodic trends, electromagnetic spectrum.
- Quiz: The periodic table, periodic trends, electromagnetic spectrum.
Odd periods, Tues Oct 22; Even periods,Wedn Oct 23. Quiz is based on reviews listed on point 28. The quiz includes a 6th question, extracredit
- End of Grading period, Oct 24.
- Chemical Bonding. Chapter 7 & 8.
- Ionic & metallic bond. Practices 12 & 13.
- Review ionic bond.
- Quiz: ionic bond. Based on review for ionic bonding. Even periods, Tues Nov 5th; odds periods, Wednesday Nov 6th.
- Covalent bond. Practice 14 & Practice 15.
- Covalent. Review. Quiz Covalent bond based on the review.
- Quiz: Fri Nov 15, even periods; Mond 18th, odd periods.
- Chapter 9: beginning Nov 19. Practice 16 & 17, naming ionic compounds. This is the Review: the quiz will consist of 20 itmes: formulas to name, names of which the student will write the formula for.
The Quiz include an extracredit question, similar to the homework.
- Homework: Pair each of the 15 anions listed on table 9.3 page 268 of the text book, with potassium ion, and with iron II & III ions: write & name formulas. Homework is due the day of the quiz (Even periods, Mond Nov 25; odds periods, Nov 26.)
- Done with ionic componds' nomenclature? Let go over Molecular compounds nomeclature. Two practices, the first and the second click here. This is the review. Then, on the week of Dec 2 to 6, the Quiz !
- Videos: there are so many videos dedicated to chemical nomenclature, naming ionic & molecular compounds. These are three videos on the topic that I recommend: 1, 2 & 3. The author of the videos is mistercheung Video on molecular compounds nomenclature, here
** notice: as always, quizzes are based on the review worksheet questions !
- Quiz on naming molecular compounds based on review (See point # 40)
Even periods, Thurs Dec 5th, Odds periods, Fri Dec 6th.
- Week of Dec 9 trhu 13: Chapter 13: States of matter: Practice "The nature of gases" here.
- Practice "nature of liquids and solids" here.
- Practice "Changes of State" here. The review for the quiz here. Quiz, chapter 13, week Dec 16-20. Tues 17th, odds periods; Weds, 18th, even periods.
- Chapter 11.1 Chemical reactions. Writing and balancing equations. Practice pdf file download here. 11.2 Practice pdf, types of chemical reactions here. Review, preparation for the quiz: Reactions, equations, here.
- Chapter 11.3, reactions in aqueous solution: Practice 1 pdf here.
- Practice 2: MS word doc, single replacement and double replacement equations: complete ionic and net ionic equations. Solubility rules.
- Quiz: complete single replacement and doublereplacement equations. Write both complete & net ionic equations.
- ***ChemWiki: precipitation reactions*** very useful review, online.
- Chapter 10: The mole. Practice & review (60 questions, two sessions).
- Quiz, The mole. Even periods, Mond 2/10. Odd periods 2/11.
- Percent composition and chemical formulas. Practice 1, Practice 2.
- Quiz, percent composition. Even periods, Tues 2/19. Odd periods, 2/20.
- Stoichiometry: quantities in chemical reactions.
Stoichiometry 1 & Stoichiometry 2 (limiting reagent, % yield)
- Stoichiometry: quantities in chemical reactions:
Review 1 & mix review 2
- Online: limiting reagent problems (explained)
- Quiz: March 5th, even periods; March 6th, odds periods.
- Solutions (chapter 16). Practice Solutions 1 & Solutions 2 (review).
- Review, take a fake quiz, then the real one: Quiz, even periods, Thurs 03/13; odd periods, Fr 3/14.
- Acids and bases. Practice 1, acids and bases, pH scale, calculations. Practice 2, strong and weak acids and bases, neutralization reaction.
- End of 3rd Grading Period.
- Review: Acids and bases. Next, Quiz Acids and bases
- Reactions rate, equilibrium: practice 1, review 1, review 2.
- Quiz: rates & equilibrium.
- The gas laws: practice 1, gas laws; review1;
practice 2, ideal gas law.
- Ideal gas behaviour: Glencoe virtual lab.
- Ideal Gas: review2. Ideal gas quiz: even periods, Fri May 9; odds periods, Mond May 12.
- Nuclear chemistry: practice 1, nuclear reactions. Practice 2, radioactive decay, nuclear reactions (review) Quiz.
- Honor class: Organic chemistry: hydrocarbons, nomenclature. Functional groups.
Classwork 1 (orgo 1) and classwork 2, (Orgo 2). No Quiz ! school year ends!